History

The sons of George Yeats were all initiated into Lodge St Barchan. They were William Yeats 31st December 1898, John Lyndsay Yeats 14th December 1901 and James Ironside Yeats 17th September 1902.

After his initiation, James took no further part in Lodge business, which was perhaps due to the fact that his vocation took him around the world while William later moved to Egypt, where he remained all his life.

Whilst the minutes tell us little about his siblings, they tell us much about John L Yeats, who in his early life was employed in the Dockyards in Portsmouth where he fitted guns to the first Dreadnaught, the forerunner of all the great modern battleships of the Royal Navy.

After his return, he served the Lodge dutifully for 40 years. He went through the offices in the Lodge in the same way as the brethren today and it was he who introduced music to the degree work.

In 1924 while in ill-health, the Lodge Secretary ripped 2 pages from the minute book and in his anger, Lord Blythswood called for Lodge St Barchan's Charter to be removed and his would have been carried out but for the fact that the RWM of the time, Bro. James Wylie issued a sworn statement that the minutes were fit and proper.

Bro. Yeats obviously had a concern with this and did not attend the Lodge in any capacity for the three years that the Bro. Wylie was in the chair.

Bro. Yeats returned to the Lodge in 1926 as the Director of Ceremonies during the trying years after the purchase of the new premises.